Hello and welcome to Febuary, the month of love (I suppose). When it comes to Valentine’s I tend to not be impressed by cutesy pink lovey dovey stuff but I do like the ideal of doing something nice for someone you love whether it be your mother, sister, best friend or significant other.
This recipe is one for red velvet crepes smothered in a Nutella ganache. Decadence in the form of breakfast. Nutella is an excellent crepe filling (my favorite ) and I thought making it into a rich sauce would be a tasty twist know top of these crepes. I used the recipe from Joy of Baking but adapted it to make it red velvet flavoured.
WHAT YOU NEED
This makes about 2 servings of 10-12 heart shaped crepes
1) 1/2 cup of flour
2) 1 tbsp of white sugar
3) 1 egg – brought to roomtemperature
4) 1 50mL (approx 2/3 cup) of milk.
5) 1tbsp melted butter
6) 1 tsp vanilla extract
7)1 tbsp cocoa
Note this recipe isn’t very precise, you can add more or less of each ingredient you suit you.
1) 4 tbsp of Nutella – only 2tbsp pictured here
2) 1/4 cup of milk
WHAT TO DO
1)Blend ingredients in a food processor /blender /nutribullet until it forms a smooth watery batter.
2) Place batter in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
3) Place a skillet on high heat and add a bit of butter letting it melt and spread over the entire surface of the pan.
4) Place the cookie cutter on the skillet then pour batter to fill in.
Pour batter into cookie cutter
5) Allow to cook until edges appear browned then remove cookie cutter (to avoid burning the metal)
Remove cookie cutter
6) Flip crepes and allow to finish cooking. Make as many as you like, they will be stacked.
1) Bring milk (or heavy cream) to a boil in a save pan or heat in microwave.
2) Pour over Nutella and mix until a smooth mixture is formed.
Finished crepes and sauce
You’re done! Feel free to serve the sauce on the side or Pour it over the crepe tower allowing the sauce and crepes to merge flavours.
Covered in sauce
Ready to serve
These. Were. Delicious. Do you hear me? Delicious! I could honestly see this being served at a cozy, kitchy but trendy cafe in some trendy city. Lol. The mild cocoa flavour in the crepes is complimented by the delightful hazelnut flavour from the Nutella. The crepes are light and moist and the sauce is rich. This is a winning combo.
Make this for someone you love and have an awesome day!