Today’s recipe is an easy versitile one, so easy I almost feel guilty for calling it a recipe. This is chia pudding which is actually super trendy these days, something I didn’t realise until I decided to do this post.
Chia Pudding Pots
FunFact: I used to work at a health food store way back in the day. I’m talking wayyyy back. I was a university student and the owner was a nutritionist. The name of her business was “Chia Seeds” . She explained to myself and all the others who would be working there that the chia seed was small but powerful. It had so many benifits for something so insignificant in appearance (it was a bit of a life lesson too)
So what IS chia?
Chia is the seed of the chia plant which is a member of the mint family. The seed is very tiny, like sesame seed size and it is rich in nutrients including omega fatty acids, some vitamins and minerals.
Chia seeds have long been popular among the “health food” set but recently has become far more mainstream making a massive debut on pinterest(lol). Chia seeds can be added to smoothies, health bars and cereals. However, a notable property of chia seeds is the fact that they become swollen and gelatinous once exposed to liquid. This makes for a great puddding. A healthy, nutritious pudding.
I will be making 3 variations of chia pudding today ; vanilla spice, chocolate and berry.But really the options are limitless.
WHAT YOU NEED (for each)
1) 1/4 cup of chia seeds (I used black chia seeds , yiu can use white ones if you like)
2) 1/3 cup of vanilla almond milk (or whatever type of milk you prefer)
3) 1 tbsp of honey – add it to your preference
4) 1/4 tsp of assorted spices– I used cinnamon and nutmeg
5) 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
6) Assorted berries– I had strawberries and blueberries
7) Containers for storage (I used small jelly jars but for more practicality you can use small resealable plastic containers)
WHAT TO DO
Pour almond milk into container and add honey and mix.
1) Add chia seeds and spices then mix in well.
Add chia seeds and spices
4) Chop fruit and add a few pieces to the mixture and stir.
5) In your blender/nutribullet etc blend the fruit with a bit of water forming a slurry.- I did it separately for visual effect.
6) Place your mixtures in the refrigerator and let them sit for a few hours, until a gelatinous consistency is formed. I left mine overnight.
Your treats are ready to eat!
Ready to eat
These are great healthy “to go” snacks that you can make long ahead of time. You can play around and try a multitude of flavours. These would also make an amazing dessert for a dinner party. It’s different but tasty.
The chia seeds become fluffy and gel like and it truly tastes like a pudding. The different additions all go well with it because the chia seeds lend to sweet flavours.
Definitely try this one and definitely have an awesome day!