Today I bring you a dinner recipe of Garbanzo bean Stew served with roasted sweet potato.
Garbanzo bean Stew and sweet potato
Garbanzo beans also called Chickpeas or channa are a great source of protein and starch. They are pretty versitile and can be used in cold salads, ground to make hummus or cooked into a delicious vegetable stew like this.
Makes 2 servings
WHAT YOU NEED
1) 1 can of Garbanzo beans
2) 1 large tomato (diced)
3) 1/2 a medium onion(diced)
4) 2 cloves of garlic(sliced)
5) Approximately 2 cups of fresh spinach
6) 1tbsp of paprika
7) 1tbsp of yellow curry powder
8) 1/2 tsp of all purpose seasoning
9) 1 tbsp of Sriracha pepper sauce (or other spicy sauce)
10) 2tbsp of tomato sauce
11) 1 medium-large sweet potato
Unlike baking, where precision is key, cooking is very subjective. Feel free to add more or less of something as you see fit.
Spices and sauces
WHAT TO DO
1) In a saucepan bring water to a rolling boil then add both halves of sweet potato.
2) Once cooked through, drain water and allow to cool.
Boiled sweet potato
3) Take a fork and plough the centre of the potatoes and sprinkle with seasoning.
4) Bake around 350 F for 10-15 minutes.
1) Add 1tbsp of butter to a medium heat frying pan and allow to melt.
2) Add garlic and onion and Sautee
Butter, garlic and onions
3) Add spices and continue to Sautee
4) Add garbanzo beans and allow them to Sautee for a few minutes. Be sure to continually stir and coat the beans with spices, not allowing them to burn.
5) Add tomatoes and mix
6) Add spinach and let it sweat down then mix
Spinach cooked down
7) Add tomato sauce and Sriracha and mix.
8) Turn heat down to low and let it simmer until preferred consistency.
Plate stew and sweet potato and serve.
This meal came together by happenstance one evening and I’m so glad it did. The stew is hearty without being heavy and the potato is starchy and filling (in a healthy way) What I love about it is that this dinner is so effortless yet is so complex in flavour. This is a great dinner to have at the end of a long day either alone or with family and friends.
Have an awesome day