BLOG-Mas DAY 18
Welcome to the 18th day if Blogmas where I bring you a simple recipe for a delectable appetizer great for your yuletide gathering (or any other time of year).
This is a recipe my mother makes often.She got it from TasteofHome. She has altered it a bit and I have altered her version so this is a version of a version. Lol.
WHAT YOU NEED
1) Ground beef-you can substitute this with another ground meat : turkey, lamb, pork, chicken or for a vegetarian option you can use textured vegetable protein (minced soy chunks)
2) 1 large egg.
3) 1/2 cup(125mL) of milk
4) 1 cup breadcrumbs.
5) 1/4 cup of diced onion.
6) 2 diced garlic cloves.
7) 3/4 cup(6oz/170g) of ketchup
8) 3/4 cup of honey
9) 3 tbsp(45mL) of soy sauce
10) 1 tbsp butter
WHAT TO DO
Season your ground meat-I use black pepper and Worcester sauce and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
1) Mix egg and milk together.
Egg and milk
2) Add breadcrumbs and onioin and mix well.
Breadcrumbs and onioin added
3) Add ground beef (turkey, lamb, soy etc) and form a firm mixture.
4) Form balls, approximately 1 inch (2.5cm) in diameter. This recipe gives approximately 24 meatballs this size. Of course you can make them larger or smaller if you so desire.
5) Place on baking sheet and bake at 400 F (205 C) for 15 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
6) In a saucepan heat garlic and butter then add ketchup, soy sauce and honey. Allow to simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
Serve Meatballs with sauce either on the side or coated.
Meatballs with sauce on the side
Meatballs glazed with sauce
The original recipe(linked above) makes more meatballs than stated. My mother also finds the amount of breadcrumbs recommend isn’t quite enough to make a firm meatball. She also recommends using more honey than listed. For me I halved the amount of ground beef but had to tweak it in a few other places. The take home message is be careful if you plan to use the original recipe.
These Meatballs are always a hit. The meatballs themselves are firm but moist and flavourful. The sauce is has complex flavours but is super easy and affordable to concoct. The salty soy sauce , the sweetness of the honey and the tang from the ketchup make give a unique taste combination sure to impress your guests.
Definitely try this one out guys and have an awesome day.