This is a recipe I tried a couple months ago but I thought would be a perfect NYE treat… Champagne Gummy bears. Of course, you can also use regular wine.
I first heard of these about two or three years ago. At that point they were only being sold by a very high end gourmet candy company and though beautiful and delicious looking, not easily attainable for me.
Then the pictures and tutorials began showing up on Pinterest and I knew…I had to try.
The recipe I used is a mash up of two I found online. One is from Cooking with Janica and Sprinkle Bakes. I used less gelatin than both recipes called for and it gave me a softer gummy which I prefer. I also used the recommendation from Sprinkle Bakes of adding an additional flavour because just using the wine makes it a bit bland. So let us continue. ..
WHAT YOU NEED
1) 1 cup Wine– champagne, prosecco, red, white, blush. I used a white, a red and a sparkling rose.
2) Gummy bear molds– I bought these on Amazon, each can make 50 bears and it comes in pairs.
3) 3 packets of gelatin (or if you want a vegan option, use agar-agar)
4) Food colouring– Depends on the flavour, I used pink for the rose, red for the red wine and a little yellow for the white wine.
5) 1/2 cup of white sugar
6) 2-3 drops of wine food flavouring – yes this exists but I couldn’t get any when I wanted it so I used strawberry, I think any berry flavour can work.
7) Squeeze bottle– for easy delivery of the gel.
WHAT TO DO
1) Mix 3 packets of gelatin with water and let it dissolve.
2) Add sugar and mix in.
3) In a saucepan /frying pan Pour in wine and allow to come to a boil.
4) Add sugar/gelatin mix to warm wine and stir in to dissolve.
5) Add food colouring and Flavouring and mix.
6) Pour gelatin/syrup into bottle and carefully fill molds.
7) Place in refrigerator and let firm up- I left them in overnight
Sugar and gelatin
They look like gummy bears, they kind of smell like gummy bears but they don’t quite taste like gummy bears. They taste like a sweet cocktail or wine cooler. This is a sophisticated treat that’s pretty straight forward to make and I think it’s a perfect party favour for a NYE shindig!
Try this out and eat gummies responsibly. Have an awesome day!