Do you say kaa-rahh-mell or kar-muhl ? Either way, this sugary dessert item has recently regained popularity in combination with salt. I love sweet and salty, in fact I often crave it. I find it calms 2 beasts in one shot, it achieves true satisfaction. Yummm…
Righto. My sister loves popcorn quite a bit. She especially loves adding flavours to it; white cheddar, sour cream, chocolate and so on. A couple of years ago, I received a photo from her via whatsapp. It was a plastic crate not unlike those cupcakes and muffins are sold in, but this one housed popcorn balls. They were massive, covered in drizzled chocolate both dark and white and topped with the tiniest chocolate wafers (think super mini candy melts). They looked delicious. And they were expensive. I mean like unreasonably so. Needless to say she never bought them. Since then I kept telling myself I should have a go at making popcorn balls. And that day finally came.
Like so many things I make , I initially wing it. I don’t look up recipes BEFORE I attempt something, that’s not hardcore. So this is my way of making popcorn balls and I am well aware that there may be far more effective ways but this one was fairly simple and very affordable so keep on reading.
In this recipe I use marshmallow as the binding ingredient similarly to making a rice crispy treat and I also make my own caramel to top them with.
WHAT YOU NEED
1) Popcorn (plain, air popped)- 4 cups (popped)
2) Marshmallows- 1 cup
3) Granulated sugar-1 cip
4) Heavy cream/evaporated milk- 1/3 cup
5) Salt (preferably large crystals)
6) Spices- I used cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin spice ( why not)
WHAT TO DO
1) Pop popcorn and set aside.
Air popped popcorn
2) Dissolve sugar in approximately 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil in a saucepan then add milk/cream and allow to boil for a few more mintes. – It won’t be as dark or as thick when you first make it. It needs time to cool.
Note : My caramel measurements were fairly arbitrary as I was experimenting, however you may vary your measurements depending on how thick or how runny you want your caramel. You can also just melt down caramel candy 🙂
Evaporated milk and granulated sugar
Bring sugar to a boil
3) Melt Marshmallows in microwave in 15 second intervals until soft and goopy.
Marshmallows, salt and spices
4) Combine marshmallow, popcorn and spices together.
Mixture of ingredients
5) Let the mixture sit for approximately 30 minutes. (Trust me it saves you a few grey hairs) The marshmallow begins to set up a but and the mixture is way easier to handle cimparted with when it’s very warm and the marshmallow is stringy and sticks to everything.
6) Mold into balls the size you desire and let firm up for a few hours (at least 2) in the fridge.
7) Once firm, take caramel mixture and Drizzle over the balls. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt. Let firm up overnight.
These were moorish. This recipe made eight balls approximately 3 inches diameter. Popcorn is extremely inexpensive and the remainder of ingredients are likely found in your cupboard making this an affordable treat for a movie night or other get together. The caramel combined with salt creates a complex flavour that foodies will love but is so tasty that everyone else will adore.
I hope you try these out and habe an awesome day!