This quick and easy recipe is a budget friendly DIY hostess’ (or host’s) dream. These are based off of the Italian appetizer, Crostini which is grilled bread topped with anything from cheese to vegetables. I also considered calling them crosata , not so much because they resemble the open faced shallow tarts that go by that name but rather because I thought the word sounded cooler than crostini.
I used pita bread in this recipe from the same batch I used to make the recipe in my previous post : banana peanut butter pita. I love pita bread because it is affordable, healthy compared to many other breads and extremely versitile.
The toppings I selected were tomatoes and mushrooms because I had them in the fridge and they happen to be some of my favorite foods. ( hence why I had them in the fridge) Of course you add whatever topping you like.
Let us begin.
WHAT YOU NEED (makes 6)
1) Pita bread-I got six 7cm (2.6 inch) diameter circular pieces out of 2 of the pitas.
2) Circular cookie cutter- you can attempt to cut them fee hand or use the entire pita then slice it into quarters.
3) 1 med-large Ripe tomato
4) 3 med sized button mushrooms -you can also use canned mushrooms as they tend to be cheaper.
5) Extra virgin olive oil
6) Black pepper, cilantro and any other seasonings you like.
The main ingredients
WHAT TO DO
1) Cut the circles out from the pita .
Cutting out circles
2) Smear on the olive oil onto the circles- this will allow the pita to get crispy.
3) Slice the tomatoes and mushrooms.
4) Arrange the tomatoes and mushrooms onto the pita circles and sprinkle any seasonings over the top.
Cilantro over tomato and black pepper over mushrooms
5) Bake at a medium heat utility the edges are crispy.
These little morsels are delicious, the crunch of the pita a great contrast to the succulent mushrooms and tomatoes. The entire process from start to finish takes well under 1 hour and this is a super easy pain free recipe youcan throw together as an appetizer for guests or do what I did and eat them as snacks for the next couple of days.
Enjoy and have an awesome day!