Hello all. So I had a birthday recently (Sept 6th- shout out to all Virgos!) and I had a dessert party! But this post isn’t about that. No, no no. Inspired by my dessert theme however I decided to make 2 alcoholic treats…..
1) Vodka infused gummy bears
2) Jell-O shots
This post is about these 2 treats and how I combined them.
I first learnt of the existence of these about 1 1/2 years ago when my sister decided to make them for her 25th birthday. She called them Drunken Gummy bears (as per the name used on the Internet).
I remember everyone being able to eat 2 maybe 3 of these max cause they were so potent! All but that one friend who had so many that by the end of the night he was walking like a drunken gummy bear himself (shout out to my friend Mark!). Anyhow, the recipe she used which was based on multiple sources asked that the gummy bears be soaked at least 3 days prior to use. Having experienced 3 day infused gummies, I decided to prepare mine the day before. Hence my term Tipsy gummies rather than full on drunk.
WHAT YOU NEED
1) Gummy bears ( the amount you use depends on the number of people you plan to serve and their general tolerance for strong alcohol)
Side note, I’m pretty sure other gummy treats can be used e.g gummy worms (the ones without the acidic sugary coating) could make a great Halloween drunken snack.
2) Vodka – whatever brand you prefer.
3) Bowl- for mixing the gummies.
WHAT TO DO
1) Pour desired amount of gummies in appropriate sized bowl.
2) Pour on vodka so that all the gummies are covered (not submerged and swimming)
3) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
I took them out about twice in the 24 hours to give a stir (the gummies become quite congealed) and the second time I added a dash more vodka because they had absorbed it all.
Before serving I took them out of the fridge for about an hour so they would soften and I could scoop them out properly.
I served mine in plastic shot glasses.
And it is that simple.
Ahh jell-o. Something I definitely have a love-hate relationship with. I love that it looks so fun, that it’s been around for so long, that it’s so low in calories. However I often cannot get past 2 spoonfuls before becoming painfully aware that I am eating something that wobbles (bleh!)
I do on the other hand ADORE their puddings. I could eat chocolate jell-o pudding evey day for the rest of my life!
That being said, in keeping with my dessert party I decided jell-o (a classic family dessert) was a good idea. Then I was like hey! Let’s add alcohol for a really fun time! What I love most of all about jell-o, as a woman on a budget ( shout out to my fellow poor party girls!) is that it is dirt cheap! A small box is under $1(US) literally eveywhere you go. I used 1 small box to make 40 shots (using small plastic shot glasses)
I have certainly tasted a few jell-o shots in my time but I never made any. Turns out it’s very simple. I also learnt that I didn’t have to use vodka as the alcohol, I could also use rum! (#whoknew)
I made 2 flavours :1) watermelon with regular vodka and 2)raspberry with raspberry flavoured rum.
I got the recipe from a youtube video youtube recipe and the idea to use rum from her.
What you need:
1) 1 small package of jell-o(or other gelatin snack) -I used raspberry for this but use preferred flavour.
2)1 cup boiling water.
3) 1 cup cold water.
4) 1 cup Bacardi flavoured rum (or other flavour, or vodka)
5) Shot glasses (or other suitable small containers).
Ingredients for jell-o shot fun
What to do:
1) Dissolve jell-o in 1 cup of hot water.
2) Add 1 cup cold water and stir well.
3) Add 1 cup of rum/vodka and mix.
The mixed product.
4) I placed this liquid into a measuring cup (because the little spout makes it easier for pouring)
5) For my raspberry shots I decided to mix poisons as it were and dropped 2-3 tipsy gummies in the bottom of the shot glasses before adding the jell-o.
6) Pour mixture into glasses and let chill and solidify. I left mine overnight to ensure proper consistency.
The finished product (if you turn your head sideways and squint you can see the gummies in the bottom…lol)
I kept them in the fridge for most of the party intermittently taking them out and going around until they’re were none left.
In summary both vodka infused gummies and jell-o shots are a fun inexpensive way to serve both alcohol and an adult treat. You need no more than 2 cups of alcohol to pull off both (that’s like a small bottle of vodka or rum)
I had fun making these and more fun watching my guests devour them with a mixture of delight and horror.
Look out for a post on the rest of my birthday dessert party (on a budget of course) and have am awesome day!