BLOG-Mas DAY 9
Today we do another edible DIY gift. This is Brownie Mix in a Jar. This could easily be cake mix or pancake mix or almost anything you like. For this I chose brownies.Whatever baked treat you decide on, you can select a recipe of choice and basically put the dry ingredients in a jar.
Brownie Mix Ingredients
For this Brownie Mix I used a slightly varied version of a recipe on Joy of Baking. Everything this lady does is golden. I substituted white sugar for brown sugar and added walnuts and pecans.
WHAT YOU NEED
1) 150g of chocolate chips
2) 113g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3) 2 tbsp cocoa (unsweetened ) powder
4) 1 cup brown sugar -I used coconut sugar (most brown sugar will be less sweet than granulated sugar, you can substitute it with that if you want it more sweet)
5) 3/4 cup flour
6) 3/4 cup pecans and walnuts (mixed)- you can add whatever you like here; MMs (or Smarties), pretzels, crushed oreos etc (just make sure it’s dry)
7) Transparent jar with lid for storage.
WHAT TO DO
1) Assemble your ingredients and place a funnel or makeshift funnel ( I rolled wax paper into a cone shape and taped it) into the jar so your ingredients can land where you want.
PROTIP : Do not be like me and use the wrong sized jar, try to estimate what size jar will fit the ingredients beforehand.
Jar with funnel
2) Pour in your first layer, flour and tap bottom of jar to counter to make it as level as possible.
3) Add second layer, sugar in similar fashion. If you are using granulated sugar you may want to place the cocoa powder between the sugar and flour for contrast.
4) Add the next layer which for me is cocoa. Next time I would put the flour between the cocoa and sugar for more contrast.
5) Add chocolate chips and nuts on top.
Add toppings and extras
6) On a large tag or piece of paper, write the name of your mix (Brownie mix), list the ingredients included as well as what will be required and write the instructions on how to prepare.
Tag and twine
7) Add to jar with twine and it’s ready to gift!
When your giftee is going to make her/his treat advise them to carefully scoop out each layer so they don’t end up getting mixed together.
This gift is visually pleasing and as much fun to give as it is to receive. You can get as creative as you want adding whatever toppings and extras you think your friend or relative will love making it really personal. The cost of this gift depends heavily on the ingredients you choose however most basic baking supplies are inexpensive and if you plan on giving multiple people this gift it will really cut your cost down.
Thank you for reading and have an awesome day !